ISMA’s virtual Physician Advocacy Week concluded successfully March 19, with more than 150 email messages sent to legislators and countless calls over the five-day event, capped off by a well-attended virtual legislative forum.
“We want to thank everyone for taking time out of your hectic schedules to email, call and meet with your legislators,” said ISMA Government Relations Director Grant Achenbach. “We are also grateful to those who made the virtual legislative forum such a strong event. The legislators on the panel have given us rave reviews about the evening and look forward to more events with ISMA members.”
Legislators participating in the panel discussion included:
- House Public Health Committee Chair Brad Barrett, MD (R-Richmond)
- Rep. Rita Fleming, MD (D-Jeffersonville)
- House Judiciary Committee Chair Jerry Torr (R-Carmel)
- Senate Health and Provider Services Committee Chair Ed Charbonneau (R-Valparaiso)
- Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Liz Brown (R-Fort Wayne)
- Sen. Jean Breaux (D-Indianapolis)
Member advocacy during the week focused on the state budget (tobacco tax and graduate medical education funding), civil liability immunity related to COVID-19, and health care advertising.
As ISMA Government Relations continues discussions, tracking and monitoring on dozens of bills for the remainder of session, look for a continued push for members to connect with lawmakers and request their support of a $2 per pack increase to the cigarette tax and an equivalent tax on vapor and e-cigarette products.